This is my translation into English of the poem "La renuncia" (The give up) from Venezuelan writer Andrés Eloy Blanco


Today I translated the poem "La renuncia" (The give up) from Venezuelan writer Andrés Eloy Blanco. This is a beautiful poem in which the author expresses his resignation for a love gone bad.
I am Venezuelan, and this is one of my favourites Blanco's poems because even he is madly suffering for his breakup, he is trying to get over it by writing about it and he says something like don't you worry I'm really bad, but I'm ok. I'm calm. That's what we always try to do and what we actually should do. I love the verse "I have given up on you, calmly"
But we can give up not only a love, but also a friend, a work, a book we wanted to get, a pet we wanted to get, a kid we wanted to see growing up, or some yearning we want.
This is my translation, I ask you for some feedback just for to know if I'm doing it well and to get better!
= )
The give up
I have given up on you. It was not possible.
They were steams of the fantasy,
they are fictions that sometimes
give the inaccessible a proximity of remoteness.
I kept looking how the river was going,
getting pregnant the star...
I sank my crazy hands into it
and I realized the star was there...
I have given up on you, calmly,
as the thief give up God
I have given up on you as the beggar
hiding himself from his old friend,
As the one who sees large ships leaving the port
as if they were going towards impossible and coveted continents;
and as the dog who stops his vigor
after another bigger one bares him his teeth;
As the sailor who give up the port
and the errant vessel that give up the lighthouse
and as the blind man alongside the opened book
and the poor child before the expensive toy
I have given up on you, as the mad does it to his own word;
as those autumnal little rogues,
with static eyes and empty hands,
that fog their give up blowing the shop windows of the candy shops
I have given up on you, and every moment
we give up a bit what we used to want,
after all, how many times the waning yearning
ask us for a piece of what we used to be!
I am going to my own level. Now I am calm.
When I give up everything, I will be my own dream;
by wrecking laces I'll come back to the thread.
The give up is the return journey from the dream.
La renuncia (Spanish)
He renunciado a ti. No era posible
Fueron vapores de la fantasía;
son ficciones que a veces dan a lo inaccesible
una proximidad de lejanía.
Yo me quedé mirando cómo el río se iba
poniendo encinta de la estrella...
hundí mis manos locas hacia ella
y supe que la estrella estaba arriba...
He renunciado a ti, serenamente,
como renuncia a Dios el delincuente;
he renunciado a ti como el mendigo
que no se deja ver del viejo amigo;
Como el que ve partir grandes navíos
como rumbo hacia imposibles y ansiados continentes;
como el perro que apaga sus amorosos brios
cuando hay un perro grande que le enseña los dientes;
Como el marino que renuncia al puerto
y el buque errante que renuncia al faro
y como el ciego junto al libro abierto
y el niño pobre ante el juguete caro.
He renunciado a ti, como renuncia el loco a la palabra que su boca pronuncia;
como esos granujillas otoñales,
con los ojos estáticos y las manos vacías,
que empañan su renuncia, soplando los cristales en los escaparates de las confiterías...
He renunciado a ti, y a cada instante
renunciamos un poco de lo que antes quisimos
y al final, !cuantas veces el anhelo menguante
pide un pedazo de lo que antes fuimos!
Yo voy hacia mi propio nivel. Ya estoy tranquilo.
Cuando renuncie a todo, seré mi propio dueño;
desbaratando encajes regresaré hasta el hilo.
La renuncia es el viaje de regreso del sueño...
Resignation - Ferdinand Schauss


© JorgeRGalán 2017

Comentarios

Entradas populares